Monday, January 12, 2015

Oldie But Goodie!

This week, lets focus on a few OLDIE but GOODIE weight loss ideas and foods to support your plan. While I am encouraging you to try some of these strategies, it is important to consult with your doctor before beginning any diet routine especially if you have special health precautions.  This blog is my personal weight loss and maintenance journey, so I will speak of my challenges and my triumphs from my perspective. As a disclaimer, let me say that this works for ME butHopefully my insights will inspire ALL (male, female, all nationalities). 

Insights into my Journey: As a Black woman, I find most diets and weight loss plans to be UNEFFECTIVE. My body seems to hold on to fat. Have you every noticed that even on shows like the Biggest Loser, the Black woman seem to struggle and leave before any others. WHY??? Even with Weight Watchers I have to adjust my points to see the difference. WHY??? I am not a medical expert but I do know that Black woman carry weight differently. After years of dieting ....I finally found what works for me.   So let me share.......Ready...............

1. Reducing Carbs! CARB CONTROL is the key.  High Protein and low carb is my general principal.  I limit my carbs per day and per meal. You have to read the labels but also consider your meal choices. As I consider my day...I allow myself 1 to 2 carb items per day. During my diet week, I avoid Breads as much as I possibly can and I have some standards carb options if I am craving carbs....:

   a. Breakfast - Oatmeal (low carb options)
   b. Lunch - Small Bag of Chips (1/2 oz), Veggie Straws or Fiber One fajita wraps (recipe of this    coming soon)
   c. Dinner - 1/4 cup of rice ,  potatoes  or Macaroni

Allow yourself to enjoy carbs if needed but limit your portion size.

2. Protein and Veggies! This is the key to help you feel full faster and longer.  Unique ways to enjoy veggies are the key. This will be my next blog....I promise!

3. Exercise: You have to get moving. Start by walking 30 - 40 mins at a time. What you want to do is work up a sweat but also hydrate with water. Cardio Cardio Cardio...helps to burn fat. I personally prefer working out in the morning. Why? My Theory is as follows....you body burns fat at night while you are sleeping. Waking up and going to work out before eating continues this process. I take a bottle of water and get my 40 min work out in first thing in the morning.

4. What diet foods work for you? Log what you are eating during the week. REPEAT that meal plan the following if it worked! I always repeat the previous week if I have major weigh loss the week before. I repeat the meal plan and my exercise plan. If your body likes it...stick with it! I generally know what I am eating Monday - Saturday and this helps me not only prepare but to keep a disciplined routine. My standard dinner is grilled chicken leg (s), veggies and a little carb/starch.  If you become bored with foods easily see my next tip below...

5. Give yourself a break! My weigh in day is my break day. I continue to drink my water that day but I EAT WHAT I WANT (within reason).  This is my TREAT and CELEBRATION DAY! Save your craving as your reward. 

 I have a small theory about this as well. Have you every noticed that you lose the most weight during your first week and then after that it is " slow go" at times. I believe the first week is your bodies SHOCK WEEK! Weight loss is your body way of saying : "hey what you doing".  After a week or so you body gets use to the reduction of fat and food. However, when I take my day off...it shocks the body a bit again and the food fuels it for the next round. It is almost like doing week 1 of your diet again every week.  That sounds crazy I know....but it works for me and I do not get bored with my diet food because I know SUNDAY IS COMING.  Try it.....if it doesn't work for you then make the necessary adjustments.

6. Weight Watchers - I love WW! The plan gives me focus however the points allotted are too high for me. I always reduce the points allotted to me. If you find that you are not losing weight on WW, then reduce the points and be sure you are drinking the water.


Oldie But Goodie Recipe!

Grilled Chicken Legs are filling and are the bases for my dinner each week. When I am hungry....this is what i grab first. Make this recipe fun with your blend of seasonings and by using FRESH HERBS. Make enough for the WHOLE FAMILY. 


Grilled Chicken Recipe
Ingredients

Grilled Legs
Pam Butter Flavor Cooking Spray (instead of oil)
Seasonings:
Salt
Pepper
Season All
Accent (if you choose)
Ginger
Thyme
Garlic Powder
Chopped Onion
Water

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Throughly wash and clean the chicken legs
3. Lightly sprinkle both sides with all of the listed seasonings.
4. Spray with Pam Cooking Spray
5. Add a 1/2 inch of water to the bottom of the pan.
6. Cover with foil and cook for 90 mins covered.
7. Uncover and cook the last 20 - 30 mins uncovered. 

Serve with vegetables, and 1/4 cup of rice or potatoes. 

Option: This works well in the crock pot as well. Cook HIGH (4 hrs) or LOW (6 to 8 hrs). Be sure to cover the chicken 3/4 of the way with water. 


No comments:

Post a Comment